Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Dalai Lama

I went to see the Dalai Lama when he came to the Saddledome in September. When we got there, there were huge line-ups outside for the bag check and security. To pass the time we discussed whether the Lama rode around town in a Lama-mobile, like the Pope. When we finally got to the check, they made me take out my empty Nalgene bottle, just so I'd be compelled to buy overpriced bottled water. I was tricky though, and put down the bottle in a place where I could snatch it back when the security people weren't looking.

I bought my tickets months ago, when they went on sale, for about $70 a piece. Do you think our seats were even remotely good? We were in the nosebleeds. It's a good thing the Dalai Lama is so brimming with positive chi that it reached even us.

The event was hosted by Sandra Oh and Mark Tewksbury. Sandra Oh was pleasant but stumbled over her words a few times. Then there was some aboriginal music, a presentation by elementary school students and singing and dancing by Tibetan youth. My nephew has a Tibetan school friend that lives in our neighbourhood. I like walking by his house because for a long time there was a big line of prayer flags strung across the back yard. I made a joke that he will be the next Lama but my sister thinks he lacks the necessary temperament. Anyway he was supposedly to have taken part in the singing, but we didn't see him there.

So the Dalai finally came out all wrapped in his robe and took a seat on the stage. He had an interpreter to help him out, but he was pretty good with the English. It was just broken enough to give it a charming touch of the esoteric and Eastern.

The Lama didn't impart any new, profound insights. He just reiterated the ancient principles of loving the people around you and pursuing peace.

He was very conversational. He made jokes. Before the Q & A time, he said, "I welcome all serious questions. But if you ask a silly question, I may become...irritated." One question was "How do you see yourself?" He answered, "Some people call me living Buddha or god king. I am just another human being."

The Dalai Lama did seem very human, and I think that is his special power. Despite the robes and the myth and cult of personality, he really seems like reasonable, down-to-earth, normal person. The only difference is he's figured it out, and he gives off that palpable energy of contentment. Few people posses that quality.

No comments:

Post a Comment