Thursday, September 3, 2009

Legalese

I recently got my massage license from the City of Calgary. Reading through the thirteen-page bylaw document, I found some nuggets:

2. (o) "Massage" means the physical external manipulation of the soft tissue of the human body, in a scientific and systematic manner by another natural person for the purpose of therapy or relaxation.

2. (s) "Natural person" means an individual human being.

14. (5) (c) No licensee shall arrange for the distribution, publication or posting of any advertisement that describes or depicts any portion of the human body that would reasonably suggest to prospective clients that any service is available other than a massage.

14. (7) (e) No person shall perform a massage unless clothed in clean, washable, non-transparent clothing covering the area from neck to mid-thigh.

I also noticed that the title of the bylaw spells "license" with an s, but the word is spelt "licence" throughout the rest of the document. I can't help it, I used to be a copy editor.

1 comment:

  1. I am always pointing out typos, too. I can't help it. I am a librarian.

    Have you heard of this book called The Great Typo Hunt: Two Friends Changing the World, One Correction at a Time?

    ReplyDelete